Re: Feduccia's delusion

In a message dated 11/30/01 9:03:20 PM EST, Danvarner@aol.com writes:

<< Perhaps I'm being a little thick here, but how can you have a concept
 of  dinosaurs before there was a concept of dinosaurs? Shouldn't this read,
 "The concept of dinosaur ichnites as being the tracks of giant,
 ground-dwelling birds...
 A subtle but huge difference. DV         >>

Whatever the trackmakers were, we now know they are dinosaurs, but in 1802
they were thought to be birds. So in 1802 dinosaurs were thought to be giant
birds. (Sometime before that, they were thought to be giant people.) They
weren't known as dinosaurs until 1842. What's the problem?