Re: Ouranosaurus - ossified tendons

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jonathan R. Wagner" <jonathan.r.wagner@mail.utexas.edu>
To: <dinosaur@usc.edu>
Sent: Sunday, December 01, 2002 8:46 PM
Subject: Ouranosaurus - ossified tendons

> Folks-
> Does anyone know of bona fide documentation of ossified tendons in
> Ouranosaurus nigeriensis? I have checked through Taquet's description
> several times, but my French isn't fantastic, so it could be in there
> somewhere. I am looking for documentation, or personal observation,
> preferably including information on the pattern preserved and their extent
> through the skeleton... "so-and-so coded it as having ossified tendons"
> isn't really going to be much help. Of course, I'm grateful for most
> anything.

Dear Dr. Wagner, I've the Taquet's and Paul's Ouranosaurus reconstruction
but there're no ossified tendons in the dorsals, sacrals or caudals, for me
this is the first time that I've see a Ouranosaurus reconstruction with
ossified tendons as that mention by HP Aspidel in the Bailey web-page.
However, Taquet in his original description, about the dorsal vertebrae
write:
"A network of intertwined ossified tendons would have been applied to the
neural spines as in Iguanodon. But in the case of the skeleton of
Ouranosaurus nigeriensis described here, the pieces were slightly
disarticulated and the excavation only yielded several fragments of ossified
tendons. The lateral surfaces of the neural spines, smooth up to the 10th
dorsal vertebra become afterwards rugose, marked by raised osseous ridges
which are the remains of the ossified tendons or their attachments".

By
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Alessandro Marisa
Via Achille Grandi n°18
Rovereto (TN) ITALY
Tel: 039-0464-434658 Email: amaris@tin.it

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx