The Birds

About dinosaurs and disease. Like many cities Baltimore developed an enormous
winter crow popoulation in the 90s. Near the JHU campus I've twice seen
flocks of at least 300 birds. They often congregate before twilight in trees
at the art museum next to campus, then soar east to roost in the night in
assorted trees (which it is a mistake to park one's car beneath). Sometimes
it looks like a Hitchcock flick.

Crows are supposed to be extremely vulnerable to West Nile virus, with
mortality rates approaching 100%. Over the summer wondered how many crows
would return. Somewhat to my surprise the local superflock is back. Not sure
whether it is as large as before but a lot of the derived dinosaurs about
dodged the WN bullet this year. Although crows are interesting would actually
like to see fewer since they leave so many little gifts.

Am not one of those who would like to have the great passenger pigeon flocks
of yore flying over head. Mourning doves do just fine.

G Paul