From: DRosent288@aol.com
Date: Mon, 2 Dec 2002 04:52:35 EST
Subject: Re: DINOSAUR digest 2313
To: dinosaur@usc.edu

Query on Nemegtosaurus and Opisthocoelicaudia:

1.  Opithocoelicaudia and Nemegtosaurus have recently been reclassified as
aberrant titanosaurids.  But the neural spines on the neck vertibrae are
bifurcate, whereas those on titanosaurids are single.  The caudal
vertibrae are opisthocoelus, whereas on titanosaurids they are procoelus.
Assuming that Nemegtosaurus and Opisthocoelicaudia are the same animal,
wouldn't it make sense to erect a new family for them.  I agree that it
was wrong to shoehorn them into Camarasauridae, but it seems now that
paleontologists are making the same mistake trying to shoehorn them into
the Titanosauridae.  It has also been suggested that they are derived
Euhelopodids, but they don't seem to fit there either; the chevron
bones inthe caudal vertibrae are simple, not forked.
2.  Has a cast been made of Nemegtosaurus's brain?  I am interested in how it
compares with other sauropod brains.  Specifically, I am wondering if later
(i.e. Cretaceous) sauropods show any increase in brain size from their
Jurassic predecessors.

---------- end of forwarded message ---