Re: Pterosaur wings clarification (quite long)

I would like to clarify one thing I wrote on, and explain another. First,
I was the person who used the Zittel wing first to evidence for a narrow
wing. I composed the email after the webpage I submitted, and did not try
to use the wing to support any other position aside from a narrow wing
except on the webpage where I point to a particular style of wing (of
three choices) rather than a generalization. This is my fault, and I will
revise the page shortly.

  Similarly, I would like to say that in my own correspondences, I have
used "narrow-" and "deep-winged" differently, and based on Dave Unwin's
recent post, I realized I really need to clarify what I mean by it and
perhaps help others to come to some synthesis as it may result in removing
some conflict of concept-loading terms like "bat-winged" and so forth.

  Narrow-winged: Where the chord is relatively short, with a high aspect
ratio; and deep-winged: where the chord is relatively long, with a low
aspect ratio. Both used in comparison to each other, and a standard
"normal" wing to indicate which is narrow to which is deep is neccessary.
A general sum where both values are given from a similar brachiopatagium
design can be used to fix the "narrowness index."

  Bat-winged: Having the brachiopatagium attach at the ankle and with a
relatively deep, low aspect wing. As in bats, of course.

  Bird-winged: Having the trailing edge perpendicular to the chord for its
entire extent, no taper to the ankle.

  Other designs require other words, but these are my thoughts.

  Cheers,

=====
Jaime A. Headden