Re: Sinosauropteryx feathers?

Kris Kripchak (MariusRomanus@aol.com) wrote:

<...with what GSP says in DA, coupled with what we are dealing with here
to begin with, I'd smack body contour feathers on the sucker. We all know
that birds always have numerous different types of feathers on their
bodies.>

  All due respect to the supposed origin of this suggestion, but
*Sinosauropteryx* lacks contour feathers, and it is not likely to have had
them in its ancestry. Contour feathers are an advance feature, which occur
after the appears of barbs and barbulets; those of *Sinosauropteryx* are
stage II structures where various filaments fuse at the base, but in a
fan-shaped structure with a possible helical base order. No other
structures aside from single filaments (stage I) have been described for
*Sinosauropteryx*, and yes, the one tail fan was an artifact made by the
collectors to make the fossil more attractive.

  In regards to negative evidence, you don't put something on an animal
where there is direct evidence to the contrary, as in feather structure in
*Sinosauropteryx*, or it does not conform to corollary evidence which
asserts in the bulk if not all other organism how that structure occurs,
such as a keratinous beak versus lips versus a ligamental band of tissue
around the gums.

  Cheers,

=====
Jaime A. Headden