RE: Sinosauropteryx feathers?

Suddenly lots of replies! Thanks everyone, but now I have a couple more
questions. It's been suggested that body contour feathers are purely
aerodynamic, but a book I have says the are better for insulation and impact
protection than fibrous structures. Is this true (or relevant)?

I've also read that bristle feathers are degenerate contour feathers. Is
there evidence that bristles came first?

The feather described on GMV2124 is apparently under the first caudal
vertebra, not the dodgy bit on the end of the tail.

Finally, these Stage II feathers that Jaime's talking about: are they
illustrated anywhere? They sound like a reasonable option if I'm denied my
beloved contours.

Thanks,

Michael Lovejoy
PalaeoProductions