From: owner-dinosaur@usc.edu [mailto:owner-dinosaur@usc.edu] On Behalf
Of MariusRomanus@aol.com
Sent: Sunday, December 01, 2002 11:36 PM
To: GSP1954@aol.com; dinosaur@usc.edu
Subject: Re: The Birds

Yup... Corvids are very susceptible to West Nile and have a super high
mortality rate. Here in Texas we have the same sort of thing happen as
with your crows... Huge flocks of starlings descend on the middle of
town after sunset right outside of Texas A&M. The sky is filled with
them. When I visited the Dallas Museum of Nat History a few months back,
there was an alarming number of dead birds outside of the building.
Three blue jays and two grackles. That's abnormal to say the very least.
I think part of it had to do with there being this swampy pond on the
museum grounds. Great mosquito nursery. But, as far as I can tell,
asking the guys in the bio department, the crows and grackles here are
doing just fine, even though dead birds have tested positive for West
Nile in the area.

Kris