Re: pterosaur crest extensions

Jim Cunningham (jrccea@bellsouth.net) wrote:

<Even in those animals where it would interfere with flight capability or
perhaps, prohibit flight altogether?>

  I think if the body size, head and neck anatomy were considered, the
presence of a crest would have to be included as a functional mechanic in
aerodynamics, but is it essentially aerodynamic, or is this a constraint
on its anatomy? *Pteranodon ingens*/*P. longiceps* has developed a large
long crest which is not exactly very thin and rather triangular in
section. That of tupuxaurine (made up, I think, by me) pterosaurs
(*Thalassodromeus*, *Tupuxuara*) are so large it is incredible how the
sheer thinness could have withstood shear. Species of *Tapejara* have
large dorsal crests that would almost certainly affected their
aerodynamics, but I don't see how these would inhibit flight, but also I
do not see how they would hve neccessarily made it easier. So, did the
crest enforce a constraint on distance or mode of flight, or does flight
have any effect on crest size and shape?

  Cheers,

=====
Jaime A. Headden