Re: Unwin's high horse

Dave Peters writes:

<< PS. Regarding D. Varner's recent posting regarding tracing copyrighted
pictures: As far as I know, tracing is still legal. >>

       I didn't mean to suggest otherwise. I'd be in solitary with no chance
of parole if it wasn't! My concern was copyrighting a tracing of something
already copyrighted. I posed this question to a photographer friend who also
runs an agency representing a number of wildlife photographers and artists
and have just heard back from him. He admitted that the area was a little
complicated and he lacked expertise, but he did have a problem with the
practice. He said, "If the photograph was the only information source used
and it was traced (a direct form of reproduction), I would think the artist
would need the photographer's permission. In court, however, the case might
end up hinging on things like how closely the tracing resembled the photo. I
generally don't go after artistic renditions unless you can put it next to my
own photo and it's really obvious it's a copy." Not necessarily a legal
opinion but a practical one from someone in the business. DV