Re: Sauropod Necks As Weapons

Richard W Travsky wrote:

> Just came back from San Diego where we managed to take in the Wild Animal
> Park. Our kiddie oriented tour guy did come up with one interesting
> tidbit, tho. He said a giraffe could knock over a cape buffalo by swinging
> its neck and hitting the buffalo with it.
>
> As a dino fan, of course, the first thing I thought of was a sauropod
> using its neck like that in defense.

Maybe this explains all those headless sauropod skeletons. Trying to
head-butt a theropod?

Seriously though, I read somewhere that sauropod heads weren't connected
very firmly to the neck, hence why a lot of them end up missing after
death. A giraffe's head is reinforced and has horns (isn't it related to
cervids in some way?) Sauropod heads seem to be fairly gracile
constructions.

Of course giraffes don't have a large heavy tail, and perhaps if they
did, they wouldn't use their heads for defence quite so much.
Personally, I'd rather defend myself with a body part as far away from
my brain as possible. Hence why I never sit on anything in an agressive
manner (ah, self deprecating humour!)