RE: Sauropod Necks As Weapons

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-dinosaur@usc.edu [mailto:owner-dinosaur@usc.edu] On Behalf
Of John Cooper
Sent: Thursday, December 05, 2002 8:03 PM
To: j_mallon@hotmail.com; dinosaur@usc.edu
Subject: Re: Sauropod Necks As Weapons

>It seems preposterous to me, because it posits a transitional sauropod
that
>was out of balance, with a long tail and a neck inadequate to
>counterbalance it. I don't think animals evolve unwieldy appendages and
>then evolve a correction.

I don't know about that.  If the change is gradual enough, could the
length of the neck not just grow a few steps behind the lengthening of
the tail?  I don't imagine a difference of a couple of inches or feet
would throw the entire animal terribly off balance.
Or what of the idea that some sauropods developed different postures,
then, to help keep the center of gravity over the hips?
Err... maybe I'm going a little far with this.

Jordan Mallon

Vertebrate Paleontology & Paleoecology

Website: http://www.geocities.com/paleoportfolio/
AIM: jslice mallon