Re: courses

Steve  Brusatte (dinoland@lycos.com) wrote:

<Technically it is possible for a coin to come up tails 50000 times in a
row.  But, it's not probable. I think this is what George is saying. There
are probable paths ("easy") and very improbable paths ("hard"). The
improbable paths are possible, but very rarely will they be seen, because
nature is so complex, as Dan said. So, perhaps "probable" and "improbable"
are better terms for "easy" and "hard.">

  It goes beyond this, I think. Minimal evolution requires the idea that
to get to any one product, the course will have as few reversals,
duplicate scenarios, revisions, etc. in the genome. If there is one ...
well the idea is that there isn't. If nature is easy, or minimal in
evolutionary expression, then reversals shouldn't happen. And like I said,
the idea is that is doesn't happen. This means a minimum of support to
every two taxa, not a multitude ... simplicity in all modes.

  I think this is what George is trying to say. I won't argue against it,
that's not my place.

  Cheers,

=====
Jaime A. Headden