RE: Dinosaur Illustration

Daniel Bensen (dbensen@bowdoin.edu) wrote in reply to Chris Bezinski:

  Chris:

<<Where do I start ? What do I need ?>>

  Dan:

<Start with a skeletal reconstruction.  Put muscles and skin on it.
Articulate the joints and rotate the animal in three dimensions until you
have an interesting posture.  Observation of living animals helps here.
Go to a zoo and sketch, or look through a National Geographic for pictures
of animals doing interesting things (be warned that dinosaurs were not
always physically capable of doing some of the things mammals and birds
do, however).>

  I would only add: make LOTS of concept sketches, anatomical studies,
artistic studies as in viewing heads and limbs from different veiws...
Look at the bodies as if they were geometric. Make copies of papers
describing the osteologies and myologies of birds and crocs and mammals.
Give yourself a good idea of where which muscles go and how they affect
the body. This way, you can make your limbs and jaws and so forth look
"real". Also, textures can be practiced by looking at crocs or snakes or
birds, and you can form your own conclusions, but you'll have a good idea
how these will look on paper.

  Speaking as an artist:

  Cheers,

=====