Ribbon Reptile

Judging on past discussions, everyone is happy to
discuss the Plesiosauria. Here is a curiosity that I
was previously unaware of:

Cope's infamous _Elasmosaurus_ actually translates as
'metal plate lizard' rather than the commonly cited
'ribbon lizard' (See the Plesiosaur Translation Guide
of Ben Creisler for more). I admit feeling a little
disappointment upon learning this, somehow the ?ribbon
reptile? I grew up with just sounds right! Anyway, I
was wondering if anyone knew the origin of this
etymological mix-up?

Cheers, Adam Stuart Smith

=====