From: owner-dinosaur@usc.edu [mailto:owner-dinosaur@usc.edu]On Behalf Of
Danvarner@aol.com
Sent: 08 December 2002 20:38
To: dinosaur@usc.edu
Subject: Ribbon Reptile

Adam Stuart Smith writes:

<< Cope's infamous _Elasmosaurus_ actually translates as
'metal plate lizard' rather than the commonly cited
'ribbon lizard' (See the Plesiosaur Translation Guide
of Ben Creisler for more). I admit feeling a little
disappointment upon learning this, somehow the âribbon
reptileâ I grew up with just sounds right! Anyway, I
was wondering if anyone knew the origin of this
etymological mix-up? >>

According to Ben's invaluable guide, "ribbon reptile" would (erroneously)
pertain more to Plesiosaurus, rather than Elasmosaurus. DV