Re: Sauropod Necks As Weapons

GSP1954@aol.com wrote:

> I have never seen the account of a giraffe knocking over a Cape buffalo with
> its neck documented, doubt it could be done, and am hard pressed to
> understand why it would occur. Unless demonstrated otherwise the story should
> be considered too dubious to be taken seriously.

This reminds me of something I saw on the Discovery Science Channel last
week. I was watching their 'Prehistoric Planet' block of programming,
and they had a couple of dinosaur shows on. On one of them, they were
discussing _Carnotaurus sastrei_ and went to great pains to point out
that it is believed the cranial horns were tools for sexual display,
*not* weapons for catching prey.

This brought to mind hilarious images of a carnotaur sneaking up on an
innocent phytodino, turning her head sideways, and skewering it with her
horns by pounding her head like a hammer. (Somehow, I doubt that would
be a very effective hunting method! For one thing, the prey would have
to be standing pretty still for the blows to be delivered with any
accuracy ...)

--
--Sean
http://www.livejournal.com/users/spclsd223/