Re: Fw: Sauropod Necks As Weapons

Original Message by luke ber Tuesday, 10. December 2002 09:33

> Is there any evidence to suggest the possibility that instead of using the
> tail to swat an approaching Therapod, but to roll the tip of the tail as a
> form of camouflage, thereby confusing the predator as to which end to bite.
> it would make you think twice, going for the jugular, and coming up with a
> healthy tail swat in the face.

Apart from there being no evidence either way, a diplodocid tail end really
doesn't look like a diplodocid head IMHO. I also doubt a big theropod would
have gone for the jugular, instead of just cutting a gigantic wound in the
prey somewhere or other, such as the leg muscles (well described in PDW).

While I am at it, Dinomorph has shown pretty clearly that neither
*Diplodocus* nor *Apatosaurus* were able to see through between their legs
because their necks weren't flexible enough to form such a tight downward
curve, but both had enough sideways flexibility to look backwards
nonetheless. Non-diplodocimorphs with long cervical ribs should have had even
more restricted dorsoventral flexibility, so I doubt any standing sauropod
ever saw the world upside-down.