Quotations Worth Reading

Thought these would be of excellent use to the list:

  "Innocent, unbiased observation is a myth." -- P.B. Medawar, 1969,
_Induction and Intuition in Scientific Thought_.

  "Objectivity cannot be equated with mental blankness; rather,
objectivity resides in recognizing your preferences and then subjecting
them to especially harsh scrutiny-and also in a willingness to revise or
abandon your theories when the tests fail (as they usually do)." --
Stephen Jay Gould in the essay "The Proof of Lavoisier's Plates" (from
_The Lying Stones of Marrakech: Penultimate Reflections in Natural
History_, Harmony Books, 368 pages, reprinted from _Natural History_).

  "The primary role of the geologist is to recognize the existence of
 phenomena before trying to explain them." -- B.M. Keilhau, 1828.

  Cheers,

=====
Jaime A. Headden