Re: New discovery?

HP Aspidel wrote:

> A new maniraptoran, probably still unnamed IMHO.
> Cheers - Aspidel.

I don't know about this new-ness of the animal, the fact that it lacked
teeth (Dinobeast: "Unless archaeopteryx , it is toothless and possess a
beak") and looks nothing like Enants or any bird-group that derives from
this formation, leaves me to wonder that it is Shenzhouraptor, which is
described here:

"Ji Q.; Ji S.'a.; You H.; Zhang J.; Yuan C.; Ji X.; Li J.; & Li Y. 2002.
[Discovery of a n avialae bird -- *Shenzhouraptor sinensis* gen. et sp.
nov. -- from China]. _Geological Bulletin of China_ 21 (7): 363-369 (with
2 plates). [in Chinese with English abstract]"

The tail appears to be short, approximately the same lenght as in
Shenzhouraptor and Jeholornis, maybe a tad shorter, but some of it's caudals
are missing. And from the eye it appears that these three show similair
ratio's between arm and leg lenght. More-over, remember the characteristic
bowed third metacarpal of Jeholornis, this seems to be preserved on this
animal as well and the short pubis of Shenzhouraptor (thought it had one at
least...) seems also to be present, since none of it is sticking out from
the place were the sacrum should be.

And in reply to Dinobeast:

You wrote:

>However, one point is unclear in the article.  It refers Sinosauropteryx as
the earliest birds fossils (??).   I wonder there is a mix up of dinosaurs
and birds in the article ...

Perhaps they meant that Sinosauropteryx was the first fossil from Liaoning
(apart from Sinornis) that was described with feathers, although this is
just me...

Cheers,

Rutger Jansma