Re: Translation - act II

> Hello dear DML members
> I jsut beagn reading Gaining Ground by Jennifer A Clck and I've been
surprised to see so many names ending the same way (like disnos). So what's
the meaning of the endings "erpeton" and "gyrinus" common to a lot of early
tetrapods.Thanks for your ansqers
> Cheers,
> Jean-Michel

According to my "Dictionary of Word Roots and Combining Forms" (Donald
Borror), "erpes" or "erpet" means "crawler".  I guess "erpeton" is a
derivative of that.  The ending "gyrinus" means tadpole!

Julia

Julia Heathcote
The Natural History Museum
Cromwell Road