Re: The Prisoner's Dilemma

>From the abstract (article requires subscription):
Consequently, we extend the analysis of the continuous prisoner's
dilemma to a class of strategies in which current investments
depend on previous payoffs and, hence, on both players' previous
investments. We show, both analytically and by simulation, that
payoff-based strategies, which embody the intuitively appealing
idea that individuals invest more in cooperative interactions
when they profit from these interactions, provide a natural explanation
for the gradual evolution of cooperation from an initially noncooperative
state and for the maintenance of cooperation thereafter.
I think it worth noting that the participants in this game must

- remember the prior situation and outcome
- identify prior activities as strategies and
- determine success/failure, with the strategy identified as
the cause
in order to decide that the prior activity should be repeated.
 This is a rational, choice-directed model.
Any animal using this approach is responding to ideas, no?