Re: The Prisoner's Dilemma

<If it is genetic, we have no choice, and a mental state of left
or right
is irrelevant: it will always go the predetermined, genetic path,
and the
model intrinsically fails without mutation favoring another direction
(not
discussed). This I see as a conflict to their premise as a chocie-based
system when applied to such social-order animals as insects,
etc.>

Please remember that the topic of the paper is the origination
of behavior, as opposed to the possible mechanisms by which it
might be continued.  I don't think you're arguing that a behavior
can be a mutation, that it will arise ab ovo.  The application
of games theory implies decision (I was about to say a priori,
but enough Latin for one note).
The ability to formulate and implement a strategy seems proven
by many examples, even if the evidence is selection for an unconsidered
but useful behavior.