Re: New Mesozoic bird papers in AMNH Novitates

Stephen Pickering (StephanPickering@cs.com) wrote:

<The Kurochkin paper continues the tradition of erecting names for scrap
-- it should have been described as Anseriformes indet. cf. Presbyornis,
and remains a nomen dubium/nomen vanum. The Julia Clarke/Mark Norell paper
is, of course, a delight, predicated upon a splendid specimen and rigorous
 systematics.>

  I won't make comments of a personal nature, but I would like Stephan to
prove to me how an avian humerus, or coracoid, or femur is not diagnostic.
If he can, I will drop this; if he cannot, I would like him to drop this.
We have heard of the opinion of scrap, which I largely agree with if its
is scrappy and almost impossible to tell what it is, but avian limb parts
have become so specialized they have developed terminologies all on their
own, as have diagnostic mammmal petrosals and avian stapes.

  Cheers,

=====
Jaime A. Headden