Re: Hawkins's dinosaurs

I have the book, _The Dinosaurs of Waterhouse Hawkins_.  It is a big, colorful
story book for very young children, that _very_ briefly recounts the career of
the artist.  It is not a good source for information, if that is what you want.
You might call it a tribute.

I would suggest you look into _Paleoimagery: Evolution of Dinosaurs in Art_, by
Allen Debus, Diane Debus, and Donald Glut.  I haven't seen the book, but you can
find reviews of it on the web.  Considering the authors, I think it would be a
safe bet.

For you starving paleontologists out there (you know who you are), check out
"Paper Dinosaurs" at <www.lindahall.org/pubserv/hos/dino/welcome.htm>.  Lots of
rare, historic dinosaur imagery, with explanatory text.  That should keep you
busy.

My favorite "Paper Dinosaurs" images are from the "Table of Contents,
Supplemental Items," Exhibit 13a, "Nopsca and a Dinner for _Compsognathus_,
1903."  Here, the eccentric Baron Nopsca has superbly illustrated the bony
remains of a lizard within _Compsognathus_' rib cage.  It is shocking that these
images have never been published!

--------Ralph W. Miller III
            ralph.miller@alumni.usc.edu