Re: Fw: Sauropod Necks As Weapons

From: "Richard W Travsky" <rtravsky@uwyo.edu>

> Hmmm. What I get out of this is that a sauropod could use both ends in
> a weapon like manner. Unfortunately the image that comes to mind is
> something like a bucking horse...on second thot that doesn't seem so
> unreasonable, just not sure if they could move that energetically.

I think any animal faced with a serious threat will, as a last resort, lash
out and thrash around with everything at its disposal. I know I would. My
knowledge of sauropod tails is minimal, but assuming a sauropod has the
flexibility in its tail and body to move it with potentially harmful speed,
its impact however blindly conceived could help dissuade a predator. Whether
it could conceivably have used it as a whip-like defence, as an iguanid
would do however, depends in part on whether it had the flexibility and
musculature for such an action. Lacking further evidence, the rest is
guesswork.

Adam Britton