Re: Summary: Chicxulub pronunciation

Mike Taylor (mike@tecc.co.uk) wrote:

<<Jean-Michel           tchik-ksooloob  <-- the most difficult one!>>

and David Marjanovic (david.marjanovic@gmx.at) wrote:

<Not at all. The t is just to make sure, because in French ch is sh alone,
without t.>

  Hence, French use of the name "Chad" as "Tchad" to not sound like
"shad", and why fossils from Chad will carry the epithet if rendered from
French workers (those who primarily work in Chad from outside Africa) as
"tchadensis". French has developed the most unusual orthography of the
Romance languages.

<Pronounciation questions are always of great interest to the list.
Remember *Protopteryx*. Or *Nqwebasaurus*.>

  Fortunately, at any point, Khoisan (or any Click language) will be of
limited use in taxonomy, we do not have to worry about trying to
approximate the sounds ! or # into anything. With a little practice, of
course, we could.... In Greek, fortunately, I like the system of splitting
p+t between adjacant syllables, with p silent otherwise, so
"sih-TAA-koh-SAWR-us" or "TEHR-oh-dak-TYE-lus", but
"HAH-tsehg-op-TAIR-iks" or "KAA-top-SAHL-is".

<Aaaah yeah: Dinosaurs. If *Megalosaurus* is not related to the rest of
Megalosauridae, the latter takes the name Torvosauridae by priority,
AFAIK.>

  Not neccessarily. *Megalosaurus* takes all superior taxonomic names
based on it with it. If *Megalosaurus*, based on a lectotype short
fragment of a dentary (not a complete skull as Stephan would have us call
diagnostic) is a _nomen dubium_ as some remark it is, then Megalosauridae
and the (unnamed?) Megalosauroidea would be nomina dubia and effective
junior synonyms of *Megalosaurus* Buckland. Torvosauridae as coined
included merely *Torvosaurus*, and it would need to be shown that
*Torvosaurus* is any closer to other taxa as included for the name to be
used. If used under phylogenetic systems, then Torvosauridae has a valid
chance of being the opposing stem to Spinosauridae, but it would be
Spinosauroidea Sereno and not Megalosauroidea (uncoined). Torvosauroidea
may also be valid as a coined name, if the coinage were to be moved to
another effective definition, perhaps as the stem to include the node
Spinosauroidea, but this would simply be excessive; however, I didn't name
these things, and I would rather see coined names used than new one
fabricated per analysis.

  Cheers,

=====
Jaime A. Headden