Re: pterosaurs, bats, flying theropods

Again and again, the same refrain. No personnal thing, here, but, really : this
list is composed of (mainly, I think) professionals. Within is a tiny bit of
laymen (and women). We all are convinced (or nearly) that birds are BAD -or
BADD- even us, simple laymen (and women). What's the use of keeping saying
"extant dinosaurs, flying theropods" and so on. There's only 5 letters in
"birds" and it's a good word for ALL extant dinosaurs, or feathered
osteolepiforms or whatever you like. Sorry, but it's a bit tiring. All of us on
this list know of the bird-dinosaur relationship, even if some don't agree with
the majority (that's their right). Call birds "birds", as long as extant
dinosaurs are concerned, please. Today, there's no question about the name
(call them avians, avialeans, ornithurans, euornithines, neoavians (why not),
and if that's not enough, feathered osteolepiforms, volant whateveriids (an
idea)). Yes, we, non-scientists, know the relation between birds and dinosaur!
s (whatever one think of the kindof relation).So, please, when you talk about
extinct forms, chose the word you want, and when you speak about living forms,
call them birds : there's nothing wrong about that.
Sorry
I couldn't resist

Cheers anyway (as always)

Jean-Michel