Beaks

Something that's been bothering me for awhile.

Is there any evidence/theories/facts to explain why our feathered friends,
during their conquest of the skies in ages past, lost their jaws of razor
sharp teeth in favor of one gigantic toothlike beak? What possible
advantages are there to a beak? Disadvantages? Are we dealing with weight
issues (although it seems to me a gigantic chunk of bone would weight more
than a couple dozen smaller bones) or are beaks just more efficient for
consumption of prey? Obviously beaks have since become as diverse as the
birds themselves, and even those birds that chose to recolonize the land
such as the killer birds apparantly still had beaks.

So why beaks over teeth? Someone care to enlighten me?