Re: pterosaurs, bats, flying theropods

<Morphologists have long assumed a grouping called Archonta, which
contained Primates, Scandentia, Dermoptera, Chiroptera and in later
versions Lagomorpha and sometimes Macroscelidia.>

  It was Stephan Pickering's post that suggested that someone actually
tried to suggest bats _were_ primates, not that they were a sister-group
or a clade within a sister-group. This is what I was intrigued about.

<A bat with slotted wings? ~:-|>

  Some bats have a second finger that is not bound at the distal end to
the cranial margin of the third, this producing a mobile leading edge of
the wing. I do not understand the full aerodynamics of this feature.
Similarly, many bats have a long taper on the distal fingers that during
flight may approximate the slots in an avian wing, as the leading edge on
the third finger will guide air over the fourth, and that over the fifth
in some positions, so theoretically acts as a slotted wing in birds.

  Cheers,

=====
Jaime A. Headden