Re: pterosaurs, bats, flying theropods

--- "Jaime A. Headden" <qilongia@yahoo.com> wrote:
> David Marjanovic (david.marjanovic@gmx.at) wrote:
>
> <Morphologists have long assumed a grouping called Archonta, which
> contained Primates, Scandentia, Dermoptera, Chiroptera and in later
> versions Lagomorpha and sometimes Macroscelidia.>
>
>   It was Stephan Pickering's post that suggested that someone actually
> tried to suggest bats _were_ primates, not that they were a sister-group
> or a clade within a sister-group. This is what I was intrigued about.

Well, that was Linnaeus' original scheme!

His original Primates included four genera: _Homo_, _Simia_ (now non-hominin
_Anthropoidea_), _Lemur_ (now non-anthropoid _Primates_ + _Dermoptera_), and
_Vespertilio_ (now _Chiroptera_). It was equivalent to Archonta, except for the
omission of _Scandentia_ (was he even aware of tree shrews?).

=====
=====> Instant Messenger <Ric Blayze>
=====