Xuanhanosaurus was Re: Alumin(i)um

Original Message by Piotr Gasiorowski
Friday, 20 December 2002 19:15

> Shuan-HAN-o-SAW-rus CHEE-lee-shah-EN-sis is the best approximation I can
> think of, if you want something reasonably close to the original. Chinese
> (Pinyin) "x" and "q" (Wade-Giles's "hs" and "ch'", respectively) stand for
> sounds similar to English "sh" and "ch", except that they are more palatal
> ("softer"), as if accompanied by "y" (as in "yes").

First off, the u in xuan is ü (Wade-Giles would write hsüen, Pinyin drops the
dots because u never occurs after x), and the a is pretty much like in
English (an apple), though not so extreme. Next, except in front of u (real u
this time), h is pronounced more like "kh" (German/Scottish... ch). Then, x
and q are much harder to explain. OK, q is t + x. X is... between "kh", s and
sh. Arch your tongue so that the middle almost reaches the middle of the
palate and the tip reaches the lower jaw, and then blow air through. :-)