Re: Paleocene hadrosaurs?

Dan Varner (Danvarner@aol.com) wrote:

<Jaime, Perhaps you didn't get the email with the pdf url>

  Dan, I did indeed read this paper long ago, along with the three or so
other papers that were of the Mesozoic in the collection that caught my
attention.

  The authors contend that because of pollen in coal measures _below_ the
level of the hadrosaur femur and the presence of rare-earth elements of
huigher concentration than "normally" deposited bone, these are of
Paleocene age and were not remorked. They do not account for the high
Uranium, at odds with reworking, and fail to show how large quantities of
rare-earth elements are indicative, indeed, of the process of reworking,
which means they must meet a burden of proof. Hopefully, this new paper of
theirs will demonstrate this, or give up better data to test. But my first
warning is from the dated coal: such stuff can occur as an infilling, if I
understand my geology right, and the pollen in a peat bog occuring after
the death of the interred animal could slip below the level of interment
and create such a structure. I have no faith in reworking premises, either
way -- I would love to see the strata around the femur itself.

  Cheers,

=====
Jaime A. Headden