Re: New from the Beeb

Steve White wrote:

> As well as Walking with Cavemen, there also appears to be a new series
> called Monster We Meet - about the various mad, bad and dangerous to know
> animals our early ancestors encountered such as Megalania.

No doubt they'll over-estimate the size of Megalania (as almost everyone
else has), and call it the "top predator" of the time. For an
alternative see:

Wroe, S. 2002 "A review of terrestrial mammalian and reptilian carnivore
ecology in Australian fossil faunas, and factors influencing their
diversity: the myth of reptilian domination and its broader
ramifications." Australian Journal of Zoology 50:1-24
http://www.bio.usyd.edu.au/staff/swroe/Wroe2002review.pdf

There are lots more of Steven Wroe's papers available online at:
http://www.bio.usyd.edu.au/staff/swroe/swroeArticles.htm