bats

There is a lot of comments about bats and birds competing for the same nitch
where I don't think that competition exists. Around here (east coast of US)
we have swifts and martins that forage at dusk for the most part eating
mosquitoes. The bats on the other hand eat larger bugs a bit later in the
night. There does not seem to be any bat/bird competition. In the midwest
where I lived as a boy it was similar except there were nighthawks as well.
Now there the nighthawks may have been going after larger prey as we could
get them to attack a sock full of rocks if it were thrown high. I guess what
I am trying to say is that the nitches vary within the day/night/dusk etc.
Paul sparks