Re: Dinosaur Genera List update #196

At 10:46 PM -0500 12/28/02, Nick Gardner wrote:
Mickey wrote-
Probably because-
1. It was not described in Science or Nature.

Which seem to be the prime target for popular press to gather information from. Why?

Because Nature and Science send out embargoed press releases weekly to reporters, who can prepare the story and have it ready to run the instant the embargo lifts. The resulting publicity convinces authors to try for publication in Science or Nature if they want publicity (and most of them do).

Making a science writer's job easy is a good way to get their attention. On the other hand, we science writers and our editors love to get scoops on new discoveries that all the other publications won't get.
--
Jeff Hecht, science & technology writer
jeff@jeffhecht.com; http://www.jeffhecht.com