Re: Paleoimagery

On Mon, 30 Dec 2002 12:14:49
 Jordan Mallon wrote:
>Has anyone out there read _Paleoimagery: the Evolution of Dinosaurs in Art_
>by Allen and Diane Debus yet?  It looks to be an intriguing book, although
>I'm having a hard time finding any sort of down-to-earth reviews thus far.

I've read most of it, and should be finished with it soon (of course, as time
permits...).  I will also finish a review for my website as soon as I finish
reading the book.

Of what I've read, it certainly is intriguing, and is a book that any
paleoartist or paleoart fan should have.  It is loaded with illustrations (yes,
they are black and white, unfortunately), including works of art from all of
the big names past and present, along with a variety of unorthodox works.  My
favorite was one of Cuvier's drawings of _Anoplotherium_.  Priceless!

The text is somewhat different than a usual scholarly book.  It is more
personal, and reflects many of the authors' personal experiences in the field,
and some of their travels (i.e. in Las Vegas, Wisconsin, and around the
Chicagoland area).  The footnotes are extensive, and include a treasure trove
of other references and facts.

Steve

---
Stephen Brusatte