RE: New name for Syntarsus

> From: owner-dinosaur@usc.edu [mailto:owner-dinosaur@usc.edu]On Behalf Of
> Michael Ivie
>
> This is a note to let you know of a recent paper that may fly below your
> radar because it was published in an entomological journal.  The name
> Syntarsus Raath is preoccupied by a one hundred year older beetle name,
> and has been replaced by the name Megapnosaurus Ivie, Slipinski and
> Wegrzynowicz 2001.
>
> The citation is:
>
> Ivie, M. A., S. A. Slipinski, And P. Wegrzynowicz. 2001. Generic
> homonyms in the Colydiinae (Coleoptera: Zopheridae). Insecta Mudi
> 15:63-64.
>
> >From the abstract:
> New replacement names are proposed: Megapnosaurus Ivie, Slipinski and
> Wegrzynowicz NEW REPLACEMENT NAME for Syntarsus Raath  1969
> (Ceratosauria: Coelophysidae), not Syntarsus Fairmaire 1869 (Coleoptera:
> Zopheridae: Colydiinae). This results in the new combinations
> Megapnosaurus rhodesiensis (Raath 1961) NEW COMBINATION, Megapnosaurus
> kayentakatae (Rowe 1989) NEW COMBINATION

Grummble grrrr grumble grumble...

Ah, well.  So be it.  Too bad you did not choose a name derived from
Syntarsus; for example, Syntarsosaurus or Syntarsoides.  (Or Mister: sorry,
an old dinosaur list in-joke).

I'll have to go check and see if we get that journal.  Incidentally, what is
the etymology of Megapnosaurus?

                Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
                Vertebrate Paleontologist
                College Park, MD  20742