RE: New name for Syntarsus

Rob Gay wrote:

> > Megapnosaurus rhodesiensis (Raath 1961) NEW COMBINATION, Megapnosaurus
> > kayentakatae (Rowe 1989) NEW COMBINATION<

> And I would like to say, if for nothing else, that this new name is
>really ugly, and a lot harder to pronounce than _Syntarsus_.

And perhaps unnecessary:

(1) As Rob mentioned, both _Syntarsus_ species (or at least the type
species, _S. rhodesiensis_) may actually be referrable to _Coleophysis_.

(2) _Syntarsus_ Fairmaire 1869 would seem to qualify as a _nomen oblitum_ -
just like _Centrosaurus_ Fitzinger 1843 and _Ceratops_ Rafinesque 1815
before it.

>Another note: why would a beetle have a name meaning "fused ankle"?
>I wasn't aware that beetles had traditional ankles...

I don't know if they qualify as traditional :-) , but the distal segments of
an insect leg, connected to the tibia, form what is called the "tarsus" -
effectively the insect foot.  The distalmost claws and pads (and any other
things connected to the tarsus) are sometimes known as the "pretarsus".

The journal is "Insecta MuNdi" (sounds like something Fonzi would say).

Tim