Re: New name for Syntarsus

Damned bugs, especially beetles, which, species-wise,  outnumber just about
everything else on this planet.

Down here in dinosaur-less Florida we're constantly fighting all manner of
invasive insects. Looks like the six-legged critters have scored another
victory.

Maybe I should move back home to Maryland (I'll have to rent a spot in my
parents' basement) and join HP Tom Holtz and HP Tom Liptka on the front
lines: I'll be the one waving the "Remember the late Nick Hotton/Alfred S.
Romer/Edwin H. Colbert/Richard Selten" flags in defiant honor of my
much-lamented friends, mentors, heros, and professors. Naturally, my battle
cry will be "Wait for the Paper!"

As of last midnight, thanks to the inscrutable dictates of the Brevard
Community College (BCC) District President, my position as Staff
Astronomer/Planetarium Programmer and Operator for the Astronaut Memorial
Planetarium & Observatory no longer exists. More than thirteen-and-a-half
years' experience and hard work have just gone down the drain, and I joined
the ranks of the unemployed today.

Even my renowned, supremely talented, artist/illustrator/producer and
dinosaur afficianado colleague Dr. Joe Tucciarone "got the axe."

To paraphrase an editorial (January 31, 2002) in our local _Florida Today_
(http:\\flatoday.com) newpaper (January 31, 2002), the "stars are dimmer"
on America's Space Coast -- the only place on Earth from which mankind has
travelled to the Moon and returned safely.

I look at the stars and wonder. Joe looks at the stars and *shows* the
wonder and much more.

-= Tuck =-
(not quite [along with Joe, I hope] extinct, yet)

P.S. Tracy, George, Peter, and everyone else, please be not upset or
discouraged by negative comments or responses. Let us strive to work and
ruminaate together, respect each others' points of view, and have the grace
of  accepting divergent ideas and suggestions without  rancor. Let us,
please, examine data, mull over facts, and evaluate implications without
pouncing upon ill-conceived objections.
There is *no* "conspiracy" involved; there is no motive for withholding data
or facts.