Re: New name for Syntarsus

OK, you are the third person to ask about the derivation, so I will post
it here. It derives from a long-running joke
between the two groups of systematic zoologists here at Montana State,
Jack Horner's dino people and my beetle people.  Jack saw the derivation
before submission, and thought it was funny, and told us to go ahead with
it.

"ETYMOLOGY: This turn of events requires a new name, and although S.
rhodesiensis is described inside the cover of the 1996 volume 3 of the
journal SYNTARSUS as "a small carnivorous dinosaur," and although as good
and loyal phylogeneticists, we understand that it was really not on the
lizard lineage, at the scale of an entomologist, it looks like a big dead
lizard. So, in what may well be the first name for a dinosaur ever
proposed in an entomological journal, we propose the replacement name
Megapnosaurus Ivie, Slipinski and Wegrzynowicz  NEW REPLACEMENT NAME
(masculine) as a replacement for Syntarsus Raath 1969 [not Fairmaire
1869].  Derived from the Greek megas (big) apnoos (dead) and sauros
(lizard), this moniker seems highly appropriate for this animal."