Re: SCIENCE AND CLASSIFICATION

On naming:
<I think cladistics _removes_ much subjectivity. Not all, but lots. No more
arguments about what rank a particular group should be given. No more
paraphyletic groups.>

Do names really have to wait until evolutionary relationships have been
established beyond a reasonable doubt?
If I limit Birds to the feathered, etc. things I can see out my window, then
I have sacrificed sophistication about evolutionary relationships for the
simplicity of a stable name.  A sparrow will always be a bird.  There are a
whole bunch of strange looking things dating back over 65 my that we're not
completely sure about.
Given that the sophisticated understanding of evolutionary relationships is
itself evolving, seems that keeping it simple, at least for now, is a good
thing.