Re: Megapnosaurus and the ethics of zoological nomenclature

In a message dated 2/2/02 1:32:49 PM, bh480@scn.org writes:

<< 3. A zoologist should not publish a new replacement name
(a nomen novum) or other substitute name for a junior
homonym when the author of the latter is alive; that
author should be informed of the homonymy and be allowed a
reasonable time (at least a year) in which to establish a
substitute name. >>

Do we know for certain that Michael Raath wasn't contacted? At any rate, I
find nothing offensive about _Megapnosaurus_ and it's surely no sillier than
some other recent theropod names (_Bambiraptor_, _Irritator_, etc.). While I
agree that the original author should have been notified (if, in fact, he
wasn't), in accordance with the Code, there's nothing wrong with
_Megapnosaurus_.

Caitlin R. Kiernan