RE: Syntarsus says farewell...

> > Poor Syntarus... I always liked that name... Still the laws of
> nomenclature
> > must be upheld.
>
> Unless someone petitions the ICZN...

For what reason? Because they don't like the name?

I like it. I don't think it's laugh-out-loud funny but it's amusingly ironic
since "big dead lizard" is how most people see dinosaurs anyway. Ten years
from now people will read this name and smile, just like they do when they
see _Eucritta melanolimnetes_ or _Ninjemys_. I know that last semester when
I was going through really dry material on _Neotoma_ (woodrat) dentition, I
got a small but enjoyable charge to see the generic name _Teonoma_ in the
same family. That sort of thing. There are people (like me) who would like
to see a little more humor in taxonomy. Or attempted humor, anyway. :)

If you are reading anything more than a little joke into the name, well that
is your problem. If _Jack Horner_ can manage not to be annoyed with the
name, so can you.

Mike D.

PS - Syntarsus was one of my favorite dinosaur names, though. Oh well.
Stupid beetles.