Re: Syntarsus says farewell...

> I am no scientist, and I hope my question is not too stupid:

Your question isn't stupid, the real world is. :-)

> Isn't there a central
> database for all scientific names which every author could consult before
assigning
> a new one for a species.

Nope. There are databases, but none is anywhere like complete, and I think
there was none at all when Raath named his *Syntarsus*. For the simple
reason that there's nobody who searches all places where a name might be
published for 30 hours a day.

> If not: are there projects to create such a database?

Yes... but this will involve getting rid of the Linnaean binomial, in
whatever way. Look what www.ohiou.edu/phylocode says on "registration".