Re: Syntarsus says farewell...

Actually, there have been several lists of generic names published over
the years, including the Agassiz catalog in 1846 and Neave catalog
1939-1950 (both actually titled Nomenclator zoologicus) and several
others.

Zoological Record has published a running list of new names
every year for nearly 150 years that is simple to use (yes, it does
require effort).

No one has any business dealing with zoological nomenclature who does not
know about these.  In the case of Syntarsus Fairmaire, it appeared on
schedule in both Zoological Record and the Neave catalog.  It was neither
obscure nor difficult to check on.  For persons working at institutions
without access to these, the Librarians at the British Museum have checked
upon request for generations.

So, actually, there are databases, although they do occasionally miss
obscure references, but this is not the case here.

Michael Ivie