Re: New name for Syntarsus

Hey, HP Gentlefolks,

Michael is not only right, he's very right.

Clever classical Latin/Greek puns and tweakings of dinosaur tails pop up in
19th century terminology -- long before our current instant digital grasp
upon all things true, rumored, or patently false.

Back in the Old Days, when I was on the staff of the USNM (Smithsonian
Institution), as a herpetologist,  I discovered, rightly or wrongly, that
the whole tribe of gentle, humble toads (genus _Bufo_, family Bufonidae) may
(or may not; take your pick) claim existence by way of a not-so-subtle,
indeed vicious, stab (by a well-placed rival) against the late-18th Century
naturalist, the Count of Bufon.

Does anyone out there remember the tired old saying, "Sticks and stones may
break my bones, but words will never hurt me"?

Personally, I like beetles (and spiders, and solpugids, and horrendous Latin
verbs) , and rejoice in their abundance.

But that's another matter for a different List and a different time.

-= Tuck =-