From: <bh480@scn.org>
To: <dinosaur@usc.edu>
Sent: Saturday, February 02, 2002 5:03 PM
Subject: New Early Cretaceous fossil site in France

From: Ben Creisler  bh480@scn.org
New Early Cretaceous fossil site in France

A January 19, 2002  story on the French wire services
announced the discovery of an "exceptional site" near
Cognac, France. It read in part:

"Nous avons decouvert des restes de plusieurs types de
dinosaures, pterosaures, de crocodiles, tortues et de
poissons qui vivaient il y a 130 a 135 millions d'annees
dans une lagune situee en bord de mer", a affirme a l'AFP
Jean-Michel Mazin, directeur de recherches a l'universite
de Poitiers (ouest). "La grande richesse, la grande
diversite, le tres bel etat de conservation des fossiles,
la richesse des traces de vie qu'on y trouve en font un
site paleontologique tout a fait exceptionnel", selon lui.

My rough translation:
Jean Michel Mazin, director of research at the University
of Poitiers, stated that: "We've discovered the remains of
many types of dinosaurs, pterosaurs, crocodiles, turtles
and fish that lived 130 to 135 million years ago in a
lagoon located along the edge of the sea. The great wealth
and variety of fossils, their excellent state of
preservation, and the rich evidence of life found all make
it a truly exceptional paleontological site."

Other comments in the article predict that site will
become one of the most important fossil sites in Europe in
the coming years and one of the largest paleontological
digs in the world.