Re: Etymology of Caenagnathus--a final comment

david.marjanovic@gmx.at writes:

> No problem, er, I have little idea of Greek. I just guessed the -a- might
>  have been somehow wrong, maybe even a typo, for -o-, and gave 2
explanations
>  that happened to make sense to me. I've learnt Latin in school, but not
>  Greek, and I'd never have guessed that gnathos is feminine. (Why is it?
>  :-o )

Just is.  There are a few Greek feminines with stems in -o-; hodos 'road,
way' is another.  Latin has some, too--particularly names of trees.  As I'm
sure you're well aware (though there may be others out there who aren't),
grammatical gender in languages that have it is an abstract quality, not
always determinable from the form of the word.

--Nick P.