re: "Megapnosaurus" says farewell...

Michael Ivie (mivie@gemini.oscs.montana.edu) wrote:

<Although it would properly be ap-new-saur-us, which is kind of nice, we
know it would come out ap-no-oh-saur-us -- Yuck.  You see, we were trying
to find a name that would be good to actually use.>

  The first statement Mike wrote on appropriateness of the name in use was
that it was properly coined ... which as Pharris and Marjanovic pointed
out, is wrong. Even pronounciation is wrong as offered for the accurate
Greek derivation.

  Examples of the double "o" in Latinized greek words include *Troodon*
Leidy and *Achelousaurus* Sampson, both dinosaurs. there, the names
derived from roots which bear a omicron-omega doublet of vowels, and in
this case, as in proper Greek pronounciation and evcen taken into Latin,
both vowels are pronounced *seperately* and kept in stems. Pronounciation
thus follows:

  "Megalapnoosaurus* [I beleive the end "s" in _apnoos_ can be dropped in
stems, Ben or Nick?] = meh-gahl-AP-noh-ahs-SAWR-uhs ; _apnoos_, being
dead.

  *Troodon* = troh-ah-DAHN ; _troos_, biting.

  *Achelousaurus* = ah-KEHL-oh-ah-SAWR-uhs ; Acheloos, Greek river deity
(notable for having a horn torn from its skull thanks to Heracles, and one
candidate for the cornucopeia myth).

  Anyone correct me if I'm wrong. Oh, and for the record, I am ambivalent
in the need to synonymize the southern African and central North American
coelophysids based on morphological as well as paleogeographic grounds,
under the present understanding of their morphology and apparent
coelophysid diversity proposed in recent years. Even Sullivan remarks that
*Euceolophysis* may be of the same nature as the holotype (original, not
neotype) of *Coelophysis*, which has been relegated to the status of
innominate (mammalogists, do not snicker) material. *Megapnosaurus*
appears to be here to stay ... some may need to get over reasons for
"innappropriateness" and accept this nomen. Sorry,

=====
Jaime A. Headden